How your doctor in Phoenix, AZ, can help with osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a common medical condition, especially as you get older. Osteoporosis dramatically weakens your bones, making them more prone to fractures. Your doctor can help. Dr. Kevin Chan at Pineapple Health in Phoenix, AZ, provides comprehensive medical care including diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. He can help you prevent osteoporosis.
When you have osteoporosis, it means that your body is producing less new bone to replace the existing bone, causing a decrease in bone density and strength. You may have osteoporosis if you notice that you have:
- A stooped posture and difficulty standing up straight
- Lost inches in height over the years
- Back and spine pain caused by collapsed vertebra
Osteoporosis also increases your risk of fractures including hip, spine, ankle, and wrist fractures. There are several factors that can increase your risk of osteoporosis, including if you:
- Are a woman
- Are older
- Have a small body frame
- Have a family history of osteoporosis
The onset of osteoporosis often occurs with hormonal changes like menopause. There are some steps you can take to help prevent menopause. Dietary modifications are very helpful in keeping your bones strong. Make sure you have:
- Protein from various sources including lean meats, soy, nuts, and legumes
- Calcium with at least 1200 mg. from various sources including low-fat dairy, green vegetables, soy, or canned salmon or sardines
- Vitamin D with at least 600-800 IU from various sources including sunlight, or supplements
Exercise is another important step to take to keep your bones strong. Weight-bearing exercises including strength training and balancing exercises are helpful.
At Pineapple Health, your doctor can help prevent osteoporosis by balancing your hormone levels with bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, nutritional supplements and counseling, and other treatments.
To find out more about the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoporosis call Dr. Kevin Chan at Pineapple Health in Phoenix, AZ. You can reach him in the office by calling (480) 961-2366, so call today.