How your healthcare providers in Phoenix, AZ, can help when you have allergies
Allergies can be frustrating, especially when you don’t know what you are allergic to. The good news is, your doctor can help you feel better when you have allergies.
The healthcare providers of Pineapple Health in Phoenix, AZ, offer a wide range of integrative medicine and wellness services, including allergy treatment, to help you feel better.
An allergy is caused by an irritant, called an allergen. When you are exposed to an allergen, it causes an allergic reaction, which can result in:
- Sneezing and coughing
- An itchy, runny nose
- Itchy, watery eyes
- A rash on your skin
An allergic response can also be life-threatening by causing shortness of breath. This reaction is known as anaphylaxis and should be treated as a medical emergency.
Allergens can be many common substances including:
- Foods; some of the most common are nuts, dairy, and shellfish
- Plants; some of the most common are grasses, pollens, and flowers
- Household allergens; some of the most common are pet dander, mold, and dust
Allergy treatment begins with allergy testing to determine which allergens cause an allergic reaction. Your doctor may recommend:
- Skin testing, during which a small amount of the substance is placed just under the skin; if you develop redness, a red bump, or a rash, you are allergic to the substance.
- Challenge testing, during which a small amount of food is eaten to try and cause a reaction.
- Blood testing, during which a small sample of your blood is sent to a laboratory and tested against potential allergens.
After allergy testing is completed, your doctor will recommend treatment, which can include allergy shots, sublingual drop therapy, and other options.
You can get relief from your allergies. To find out more about allergy treatment and other integrative medicine and wellness services, call the healthcare providers of Pineapple Health in Phoenix, AZ, at (480) 531-6001. Call today!